Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lemon Dill Halibut Kabobs

This recipe was taken from activeangler.com.  I have made it several times.  It is easy, healthy and the kids love it.  This is what I made for Chris and the kids tonight, along with garlic bread per their request and baby vegetable medley.  I had leftover eggplant parm. with salad and a few veggies and bread.  The best parts of this dish are fresh dill from the garden and the halibut was caught by my brother-in-law in Alaska.

Lemon Dill Halibut Kabobs

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. Halibut fillets
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 TBSP chopped fresh dill
1 TBSP vegetable oil (I used olive oil this time)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Cut halibut fillets into 1-inch chunks; place in bowl.  Whisk together lemon rind and juice, dill, oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Pour this over the halibut and toss gently to coat.  Thread onto metal skewers.  Place on greased grill over medium-high or under broiler; close lid and cook for five minutes( turning once after about 3 minutes).  Fish is done when opaque and flakes easily when tested with fork.
Makes 4 servings.  They suggest this be served with mini potatoes and baby carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment