Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quick Minestrone, Sun-Dried Tomato, Veggie and Goat Cheese Pizza

These recipes were taken from the Vegetarian Times Vegetarian Beginners Guide.

Quick Minestrone
(makes 4 servings)

1 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery with leaves, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tsp dried Italian herb blend
3 TBSP raw quick-cooking brown rice
1 large unpeeled potato, cut into 1/4 inch dice
10-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
4 cups canned vegetable broth
One 15-oz. can cannellini or other small white beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup elbow or small pasta shells
2 TBSP tomato paste
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Grated parmesan cheese for garnish, optional

1. Heat oil in large saucepan placed over medium-high heat.  Add onion, celery, garlic, and Italian herbs.  Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes) and herbs begin to release their flavor.  Add rice, potato, mixed vegetables, and vegetable broth.  Cover; simmer 10 minutes.
2. Stir in beans, pasta, and tomato paste.  Bring to a boil again over high heat.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente.  Add salt and pepper.  Garnish with Parmesan.

Sun-Dried Tomato, Veggie and Goat Cheese Pizza
(makes 4 servings)

3/4 cup oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced (I am using Great Lakes vac pack Sun-Dried tomatoes.  They aren't in oil so I will use olive oil).
2 TBSP oil from sundried tomatoes, divided
5-6 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 pound mild goat cheese  (I will use Athenos crumbled Feta cheese here)
10-inch prebaked pizza shell (I am using Whole Foods premade dough)
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
4 oz. large mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced  (no fresh mushrooms :(  I will use canned)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 TBSP minced fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary
3 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine dried tomatoes, half of the tomato oil, basil and goat cheese.  With a spatula, spread the tomato-goat cheese mixture over prebaked pizza shell to within 1-inch of outside edge.  Scatter onion and mushrooms over cheese.  Grind fresh pepper over all, then scatter with rosemary.
3. Drizzle remaining oil over pizza; sprinkle with Parmesan.  Bake 10-15 minutes.  Serve at once, cut in wedges.

Mixed Greens with Olives
1/2 pound mixed greens or 1 package pre-cut salad mix
1 cup green olives stuffed with pimento
1 cup sliced black olives
freshly ground pepper
1 TBSP olive oil
2-3 TBSP brine from green olives

1. Arrange mixed greens, green olives and black olives in a large salad bowl.  Grind black pepper over all.  Sprinkle with olive oil and green olive brine.  Toss well before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment