Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fettuccine with Black Olive Pesto and Scallions, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with Vinaigrette

(Recipes taken from the book Vegetarian Times Vegetarian Beginners Guide)

Fettuccine with Black Olive Pesto and Scallions

Makes 4 large servings

1 or 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
2 cloves garlic
2 TBSP chopped onion
2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
One 9 oz. can pitted black olives (plus 3 TBSP black olive brine)
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 TBSP olive oil
10 oz. spaghetti or fettuccine
salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
Grated zest of 1 med. lemon
4 large scallions, thinly sliced

1. Set a large pot of lightly salted water on high heat to come to a full rolling boil.

2. In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, finely mince the jalapenos, garlic and onion.  Add parsley, thyme, olives and brine, vinegar, and oil to the garlic mixture; pulse three or four times to coarsely chop olives and combine ingredients.  Set aside.

3. Drop fettuccine into boiling water and cook rapidly according to package directions until al dente.  Set a large colander into a large serving dish and place both in sink.  Pour the pasta into the colander, automatically warming the serving dish while draining the pasta.

4. Discard cooking water.  Dry underside of dish with a towel, and fill it with fettuccine.  Top with pesto sauce, six to eight grinds of fresh pepper and salt to taste.  Scatter lemon zest and sliced scallions over top.

Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Makes 4 servings

4 large or 8 medium plum tomatoes
8 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
6 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
Low-fat vinaigrette or oil and vinegar salad dressing

1. Stand tomatoes, core down, on cutting board, and make vertical 1/4 inch thick slices, stopping just short of the core.  Gently press each on the side to open into a fan.  Place one large or two small fans on each of 4 salad plates.  Slide a slice of cheese between each tomato slice.
2. Scatter basil over each salad, and drizzle with dressing.  Serve at once.

They suggest hot garlic bread as an accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment