Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Saturday, June 23, 2012

Vegetarian Paella, Tomato and Orange Salad

More recipes taken from the Vegetarian Times Vegetarian Beginners Guide

Vegetarian Paella
Makes 4 servings

3 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced; reserve fronds
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
One 15 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups "chicken flavored" vegetable broth, made from granules or canned
pinch saffron threads or 1/4 tsp turmeric
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a large heavy paella pan or a 2 qt. Dutch oven.  Add onion; cook, stirring, over moderate heat 1 minute.  Add garlic; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.  Add fennel and bay leaf; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fennel is crisp tender.
2. Add rice, bell peppers, artichokes, wine, broth, and saffron or turmeric.  Add salt and pepper.  Raise heat, stir well, and bring to a boil.  Cover, and simmer over the lowest possible heat 10 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.  Adjust seasonings if needed.
3. Mince the reserved fennel fronds and sprinkle over the paella.  Serve at once.

Tomato and Orange Salad
Makes 4 servings

2 Temple or Valencia seedless oranges
4 large or 8 small Roma or plum tomatoes
1 medium head Boston lettuce
1 medium red onion, peeled, thinly sliced, and seperated into rings
Reduced-fat salad dressing

1. Peel oranges, and cut them horizontally into 1/4 inch-thick slices, set aside.  Cut tomatoes vertically into quarters.  With a small spoon, scoop out core and seeds and discard.
2. Arange lettuce leaves on 4 salad plates.  On each plate arrange 2 or 3 slices of orange, a few onion rings and 4 pieces of tomato. Drizzle light with dressing.

They suggest Steamed Sugar Snap peas as an accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment