Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, July 11, 2011

Stuffed Cabbage

Mostly because my grandma is Polish, I grew up eating Stuffed Cabbage but because it tastes so good, I think I would eat it anyway. 
Here is my first attempt with a conglomerate of word of mouth recipes from mom and grandma.

1 head of cabbage, cored, outer leaves peeled and boiled in enough water to cover the cabbage with lid on for about 10 minutes or until tender but not falling apart.  Cool in sink or in fridge until able to peel outer leaves without burning yourself.
2 pounds of hamburger.
2-3 cups of rice, cooked and cooled completely.  I used the rice cooker and then refrigerated the rice for a while.
My grandma would sometimes use a mix of burger, ground pork or maybe veal.  But we just stick to burger.
Also, my mom says if you don't get the rice/meat combo right, it hardens inside the cabbage once baked and forms almost into a meatball.
2 eggs
salt and pepper
1/2-1 cup diced onion
2 cans of Tomato soup.

Method:
Mix raw meat and cooled cooked rice, eggs, onion and salt and pepper.  I used my hands.  The less you handle or mix the better.
Peel leaves of cabbage as you go.  Put a small bowl of the mixture inside the cabbage leaf, continue until you have used all of the cabbage.  Just put them into your baking dish as you make them.  I baked mine in a roaster.  Pour the two cans of soup evenly over top.  Bake at 350 degrees for at least one hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment