Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, July 18, 2011

Stuffed Zucchini

It says this serves two as a side dish but I used it as a meal for me.  There is enough leftover for lunch tomorrow.  This recipe came from a vegetarian recipe site but I altered it a little.
Ingredients:
3 small to medium zucchini
2 tsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, I used two
2 tbsp minced onion
1/2 tsp dried oregano or more to taste
1/2 tsp dried basil or more to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup tomato or spaghetti sauce
2 tbsp bread crumbs
2 tsp Parmesan cheese
Method:
1.Bring large pot of water to boil.
2. Trim the ends of  washed zucchini.
3. Place zucchini in boiling water with tongs.
4. Boil for 10 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Remove zucchini and let cool.
6. While zucchini is cooling, heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
7. Add onion and garlic and stir well to avoid burning for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add tomato or spaghetti sauce and heat through.
9. Stir in breadcrumbs and spices.
10. Cut cooled zucchini in half lengthwise.  Using a spoon, scoop out insides and add to mixture in skillet.
11.  Fill zucchini shells with sauce mixture and top with Parmesan cheese.
12.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Enjoy!

It was just Nolan and I tonight for dinner.  I couldn't get him to try this though I know he would have liked it.  It was so good.  I ended up eating three of these halves and an ear of corn from the CSA basket.  I will definitely keep this recipe for summer rotation when the zucchini is going crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment