Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, April 25, 2011

Lemon Rice Florentine

I plan to make this tonight.  It makes 6 servings at 1/2 cup each serving.  I have never made this before.  I just clipped out of the Sunday paper this week because it sounded tasty.
You will need:
1 TBSP canola oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup jasmine or basmati rice
2 cups water
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute' for 2-3 minutes.  Add the rice and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add the water and heat to boiling.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the spinach.  Cover for 3-5 minutes, allowing the spinach to soften.  Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Nutritionals:
139 calories, 2g fat, 27g carbs, 2g protein, 1g fiber.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment