Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, June 27, 2011

Bean and Kale Minestra


This is from the Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant  Cookbook.

It serves 6-8
Ingredients:
1/2 pound kale (about 4 cups chopped)
4 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 TBSP olive oil
6 cups cannellini beans
4-5 cups vegetable broth
2 heaping TBSP tomato paste
6 fresh sage leaves (1/2 tsp dried)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal (optional)
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice or to taste
freshly grated Parmesan
Method:
Remove the stems from the kale and coarsely chop the leaves.  Soak the leaves in a bowl of cold water while you prepare the soup.  In a soup pot sautee' the garlic in olive oil for just half a minute.  Add about half of the beans and part of the stock to the pot.  Puree' the rest of the beans and stock in a blender or food processor along with the tomato paste and sage.  Stir the pureed beans into the soup.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Drain the kale.  Mix it into the soup and simmer for at least half an hour, until tender.  Mix the cornmeal with the lemon juice and enough water to make one cup.  Pour this paste slowly into the simmering soup while stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.  Simmer the soup for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Use a heat diffuser, if necessary, to prevent scorching.  Taste for salt and pepper and adjust the seasonings.  Serve the soup immediately, topped with freshly grated Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment