Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, June 27, 2011

Week Two of the CSA

Today we picked up our week two CSA basket.  I was surprised to see that there were carrots but even more surprised when each kid asked if they could eat one on the way home.  Then Nolan asked for another and so did Maura.  Wow!  I think it's really cool that my kids can see what a "real" carrot looks like.  They know that it doesn't come in a bag miniaturized by a machine.  As you will see in the picture, we also received broccoli, cabbage and lettuce.

I am going to look up a recipe to use up the kale from last week.  I am thinking some type of soup with cannelini beans.  I will post when I find one.  I am also planning to make a vegetarian cabbage soup.  I might freeze half of that or share it with family.  My mom usually splits her batches of soup with me.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this on the food network this morning, might be a nice way to use up a little cabbage! I"m planning on trying it this week!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/round-2-recipe--pork-cabbage-wraps-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete