Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Sunday, June 5, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

I hear strawberries will be ready soon.  I can't wait to pick some fresh for eating.  I am not making jam with them this year.  I just have a lot of strawberry left from last year and we enjoy eating them fresh and making yummy desserts with them too!

I found this recipe in the Detroit Free Press.  It was adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe.

12 oz. strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup + 1 TBSP sugar
1/4 tsp lemon zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
6 TBSP cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
Turbinado or coarse sugar for topping the cookies
Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  In a small bowl, stir together the strawberries, lemon juice and 2 TBSP of the sugar, then set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest and remaining 7 TBSP of sugar.  Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingertips until moist and fragrant.  Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the zest/sugar mixture and whisk to combine.  Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture until you have coarse crumbs.  Add the cream to the bowl and stir until the dough starts to come together.  Finally, gently stir in the strawberry mixture.  Use a small cookie scoop (about 1 1/2 TBSP) to portion the dough unto prepared cookie sheets spacing the cookies about 1 1/2-2 inches apart.  Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.  Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.  Transfer the pans to wire racks and let the cookies cool.  The cookies are best the day that they are made but can be kept in an airtight container for 1 day.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Nutritional info:  per serving (I am assuming one cookie, it doesn't say), 74 calories, 4g fat, 9g carbs, 1g protein, 0.4g fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment