Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Strawberry Dessert Extravaganza

Strawberry Pie

Homemade crust: (Taken from allrecipes site posted by Janaan Cunningham)
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers

  • 1/4 cup sugar

  • 1/3 cup butter, melted

  • Directions

    1. In a small bowl, combine the crumbs and sugar; add butter and blend well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
    2. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before filling, or bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack before filling.
    Filling:  (Taken from Rowe's Produce Farm; Old-Fashioned Strawberry Recipes flyer)
    4 cups sliced strawberries
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 TBSP corn starch
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 3oz. pkg of strawberry jello
    Method:
    Combine 3/4 cup sugar, 2TBSP cornstarch and 1 1/2 cups water.  Bring to a boil and stir until thick and clear.  Add 1 3oz. pkg. of strawberry jello.  Cool slightly.  Put the 4 cups sliced strawberries in baked pie shell.  Pour the cooled jello mixture over the strawberries and refrigerate at least 3 hours.  Top with Cool Whip.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment