Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Sunday, April 22, 2012

Beef Filets with Red Wine Sauce and Roasted Veggie Fries

This is from the Cooking Light May 2012 issue, page 104.
Veggies:
2 TBSP yellow cornmeal
2 TBSP. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
1 pound Yukon Gold potato, cut into wedges  (I used 1 1/2 pounds potatoes)
1 1/2 pounds baby carrots with tops, peeled and trimmed  (I used 1 pound pre-washed bag)
2 TBSP olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
Steaks:
1/2 cup earthy red wine (such as pinot noir)  (I got Blue Fin Pinot Noir at Trader Joes $3.99)
3 fresh thyme sprigs
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium shallot, sliced
1 fresh rosemary sprig
1 1/2 cups fat-free, lower- sodium beef broth
1 TBSP olive oil
4 (4 oz. ) beef tenderloin steaks
3/8 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 TBSP cold butter, cut into pieces
2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, optional

Directions
1. Place a large baking sheet in oven.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. To prepare veggies, combine the cornmeal and cheese in a small bowl, stirring well.   Place potato and carrots in a large bowl.  Drizzle vegetables with 2 TBSP oil.  Sprinkle vegetables with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; toss. Sprinkle the cornmeal mixture over the veggies; toss. Arrange veggies in a single layer on preheated baking sheet; bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.  Turn veggies over and bake an additional 8 minutes or until golden and tender.
3. To prepare steaks, heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add wine and next 4 ingredients (through rosemary) to pan. and bring to a boil.  Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 8 minutes).  Add broth; bring to a boil.  Cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup (about 13 minutes).  Remove from heat; strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl.  Discard solids.
4. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Add 1 TBSP oil to pan; swirl to coat.  Sprinkle both sides of the steak evenly with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Add steaks to pan; saute' for 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.  Let steaks stand 5 minutes.
5. Heat pan to high heat.  Add reduced broth mixture to pan; stir in mustard and remaining 1/8 tsp salt.  Remove from heat.  Add butter to pan, 1 piece at a time, stirring with a whisk until each addition is incorporated.  Place 1 steak on each of 4 plates; drizzle each serving with about 1 TBSP sauce.  Sprinkle each steak with 1/2 tsp thyme leaves, if desired.  Divide the veggie fries evenly among 4 servings.
Serves 4
calories 521, fat 24g, protein 31.1g, carbs 41.6, fiber 6.3g.
This was a lot of work for a steak.  I will make them on the grill instead.  If you try this though, make sure you start the steak first.  It takes a while and the veggies are really easy to prepare.  I LOVED the veggies.  I will make them again and again as a side dish for dinner.  The steaks were tasty.  Everyone enjoyed them and the sauce was soooo good.  If I was stuck inside and couldn't grill, I would make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment