Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, April 30, 2012

Enchilada Casserole

This recipe was taken from Cooking Light (Jan/Feb 2012, page 76)

Enchilada Casserole

1 pound ground sirloin
1 cup chopped onion
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP mined garlic
1 1/2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
1 TBSP 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning mix (such as Old El Paso)
1 8 oz. can no-salt-added-tomato sauce (I used tomato paste)
4 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add beef and onion to pan; cook 6 minutes, stirring to crumble.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add garlic; saute 1 minute.  Sprinkle with flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.  Add broth, taco seasoning and tomato sauce to pan.  Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add 1 1/2 cups tomato mixture to beef mixture; reserve 1/2 cup tomato mixture.
4. Place 1 tortilla in a 9-inch pie plate.  Top with 1 cup beef mixture.  Repeat layers, ending with tortilla.  Spread reserved tomato mixture over tortilla.  Top with cheese.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.  Cool slightly.  Cut into 4 wedges.

Serves 4
calories-377, fat-14.6, protein-30.2, carbs-32.4, fiber-4.7

We all loved this!  It was really easy to make.  I would definitely make it again.  The kids shared one of the four slices so there was a slice left for lunch today.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment