Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chicken with Pepperoni-Marinara Sauce

This is from the Jan/Feb 2012 Cooking Light Magazine, page 32.

Cooking spray
1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
16 slices pepperoni, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (I used my homemade)
2 TBSP chopped fresh basil
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Heat saucepan over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently.  Add oregano; cook 30 seconds.  Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir in basil.
3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.  (I just used a reg. skillet and transferred to a baking dish for the oven step).  Add oil; swirl to coat.  Sprinkle chicken with pepper.  Add chicken to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning after 3 minutes.  Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle evenly with cheese.  Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

Serves 4
calories:380, fat:14.7, protein:48.5, carbs:28.7, fiber:0.1


I decided to serve this with whole wheat pasta.  It didn't offer a serving accompaniment.  I thought since it had the sauce, it would be best with pasta.  I don't think I would make this again.  If I did, I would try a different marinara.  They suggested McCutcheon's marinara.  I always use my homemade and it is good but this time, there was just something missing.  The kids ate this but weren't that into it.  I never did get Chris' opinion since he ate later than us.

No comments:

Post a Comment