Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Thursday, April 19, 2012

Turkey Bacon Sandwiches with Broccoli Leek Soup

So, I had a little help from my friends on this one.  I had a little get-together over the weekend and Trader Joe's turkey bacon came up.  I was intrigued so we made a trip there and to Whole Foods for this week's grocery haul.  The bacon was $2.99, not bad and nitrate free (except where it occurs naturally through celery).  I was told it was like pieces of ham.  I was not disappointed.
Chris likes to mess around with cooking sometimes and it usually involves some method that strays from the norm.  One day he looked up baking bacon.  We line a pan with tin foil, put it in a cold oven set to 250 degrees and it takes between 10-20 minutes, depending on size and type.  No splattering and with the tin foil tossed in the trash, there is minimal mess.  Anyway, thanks Michelle for the bacon recommendation and Chris for the cooking method.
Bacon Sandwiches
whatever bread is on hand
turkey bacon (baked in the oven) in this case
lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo (whatever you like)
Broccoli Leek Soup
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/5671
Here is the recipe.  This was recommended by my neighbor and friend Nicole, thank you.  She said it is her almost five-year old son Jack's favorite soup.  I can see why.  We all liked it here. 
I did make a few changes as usual.  I mashed the stuff with a potato masher.   Maybe one day, I will buy an immersion blender.  Also, left out the chives, cayenne, lemon juice, lemon zest and half and half.  I did have half and half but Nicole said she never used it and I wanted to try it without (less calories).  The lemon aspect didn't sound appealing and I thought the chives and cayenne might scare the kids off.  Chris did add cayenne to his.  I also noticed that we added quite a bit more salt and pepper to our individual bowls.  And I had to use chicken broth since I am out of vegetable broth. 
All that being said.  This was a great soup.  We all liked it and it could be tweaked to your current groceries and taste buds.


No comments:

Post a Comment