Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, April 30, 2012

Cheesy Pasta Bake

This recipe was taken from the Cooking Light magazine (March 2012, page 114).

Cheesy Pasta Bake
14 oz. uncooked ziti or mostaccioli  (I used mini wheels)
12 oz. ground turkey breast 
8 oz. sweet turkey Italian sausage, casings removed  (I used Meijer chicken sausage, sweet Italian with roasted red peppers)
Cooking spray
1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
2 cups chopped onion

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup red wine
5 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's)  (I used homemade)
6 oz. whole-milk mozzarella, thinly sliced
2 oz. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided (about 1/2 cup packed)
2 TBSP small basil leaves or torn basil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil; drain and set aside.
3. Place turkey and sausage in a medium bowl, and mix well with hands to combine. 
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  (I don't have a Dutch oven.  I just used a non-stick pan)  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add turkey mixture to pan, cook 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.  Remove from pan.
4. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.  Add onion and pepper; saute for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.  Add wine, scraping the pan to loosen browned bits, and cook for 4 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.  Stir in pasta, turkey mixture, marinara sauce, and 1/2 cup basil.  Spoon mixture into a 13x9 glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Top with mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese melts and begins to brown.  Remove from oven; sprinkle with basil leaves and the remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

This serves 8.  I might half the recipe if I make it again, it was a lot!!
calories 492, fat 14.2, protein 30.2, carbs 88, fiber 2.4


Chris and I liked this a lot and thought that the chicken sausage added a lot of flavor.  The kids both ate it but I could tell it wasn't at the top of their list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment