Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cooking Light Reuben Sandwiches

I think that these Reuben sandwiches were delicious but I did make a little switch-up.  I will give the original recipe and then tell where I adjusted.  I also have a great tip for leftovers.

Dressing:  1/4 cup canola mayo  (I used Hellman's light mayo)
1 TBSP chili sauce
2 tsp finely minced dill pickle  (I used dill relish)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp grated onion
Sandwiches:
8 (3/4-ounce) slices rye bread
3 ounces Swiss cheese, shaved (about 3/4 cup)  (I bought a 6 oz. block at Whole Foods and cut it in half and then that half into quarters to make 3 oz. chunks.  Then I grated each chunk individually and added it as I went).
4 ounces lower-sodium corned beef  (I got this at the Whole Foods deli.  They are used to picky people or those asking for 4 oz. of meat and didn't look at me sideways.  They didn't have low sodium though.)
1 cup organic sauerkraut, drained well

1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. To prepare dressing, combine first five ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well.
3. To prepare sandwiches, place bread in slices in a single layer on a heavy baking sheet.  Broil bread 1 1/2 minutes or until toasted.  Turn bread over; broil for 1 minute or until lightly toasted.  Remove 4 slices.  Divide cheese evenly among 4 slices, sprinkling it over lightly toasted sides.  Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts.  Spread about 1 1/2 TBSP dressing over the cheese-coated side of each bread slice; top each serving with 1 oz. corned beef. 1/4 cup sauerkraut, and remaining bread slices.  Serve immediately.
Serves 4
calories 336, fat 19.9, protein 14.7, carbs 24.2, fiber 3.4.


For lower calories or vegetarians, used tomato slices in place of corned beef.  That's what I did for lunch today with the leftovers!

I served this with a altered version of the Kale and White Bean soup from a previous post.

I used pinto beans and one can each of vegetable broth and chicken broth since I only had one can of the vegetable broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment