Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan

Back to Blogging....

I am making Eggplant Parmesan tonight.  I cannot believe I never posted this before.  I am using organic eggplant and homemade sauce.  This is such an easy recipe.

1 good-sized eggplant, not huge, not tiny
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg or 1/4  cup egg sub.
4 tsp. parm. cheese
mushrooms (optional)
1 cup or more of sauce, I used about 2 cups
1/2 mozzarella cheese
noodles, whatever you like, I used Heartland whole wheat spaghetti

directions:
peel and slice eggplant into medium slices
I salt the eggplant and line a colander with paper towels, then I top the eggplant with more paper towels and put a pot of water on top.  This weighs it down and gets the moisture out.  Leave this here for about 30 minutes. (You can cut up all your veggies for salad while this is sitting.)
 Then pat the eggplant dry and wipe off excess salt (if you wish).
put breadcrumbs and parm. cheese into a bowl
beat egg in another bowl
Dredge the eggplant slices on both sides first in egg and next in breadcrumb mixture.  Lay these in a single layer on a cookie sheet.  Bake each side for 7 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Pour 1 cup sauce into baking dish, lay your eggplant down and top with another cup of sauce (if desired).  Then top with cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes and then broil for another 30 seconds to 1 minute if you want bubbly cheese on top, I do!
While the eggplant is baking, get your noodles cooked and your garlic bread toasted.


Gotta eat, will post pics and comments after dinner!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment