Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Sunday, February 27, 2011

Honey-Glazed Pork Chops for Monday night!! (Recipe included)

This recipe was taken from the WW New Complete Cookbook.  Thanks to my BIL, Al for supplying us with some pork.  He went feral pig hunting a few weeks ago and shared this bounty with us!


What you will need:
4 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 tsp. cider or wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 (5 oz.) bone-in loin pork chops, 1 inch thick. 

Nutritionals as follows;
honey- 2.6 WW points
Dijon mustard- 0
vinegar- 0
pork chop- 4 WW points each
Here are the listed nutrionals from recipe book- 178 calories, 7g fat, 2g carb., 0 fiber and 26 g protein.
I entered the listed nutrionals from the cookbook into the new WW calculator and it totals 4.5 WW points per chop.  I am thinking of doubling this recipe since we have about 1.5 pounds of meat to use.
I will accompany the pork chops with homemade applesauce (free) and potatoes.

1. To prepare the marinade, in a small saucepan over low heat, heat the honey until it liquefies.  Stir in the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper: cool to room temperature.
2. Place the pork chops in a gallon size plastic bag; add the marinade.  Seal the bag, squeezing out the air; turn to coat the chops.  Refriegerate, turning the bag occasionally, at least 8 hours or overnight.  Remove the chops from the fridge 30 minutes before broiling.
3. Preheat the broiler.  Discard the marinade.  Place the chops on the broiler rack and broil 3-4 inches from the heat until cooked through, 6-7 minutes on each side.
I was planning to have these tonight (Sunday) but didn't read through the entire recipe first (bad mistake) and didn't realize I needed them to marinate overnight so... Dinner is half done for tomorrow.  :)  I will post pic after making this tomorrow along with a review.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds WAY yummy. Can't wait to see the reviews from the fam and pics. I am so visual and always need pics with recipes, so thank you Melissa for including them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to these. My BIL says the pork tastes a bit better than store bought so we will see. You are welcome.

    ReplyDelete