Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Spinach Chicken Piccata (recipe included)

Spinach Chicken Piccata
Serves 4, Prep. time 10 minutes/Total time 30 minutes.

1 to 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast.
1 TBSP. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 TBSP. chopped garlic or to taste
1 package (12 oz.) frozen leaf spinach
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cups grated zucchini (optional)
1 cup fat free milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
4 cups cooked whole wheat penne pasta
1 TBSP capers, drained and rinsed well
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle flour over the chicken, stir it in and cook about one minute. Add the garlic, spinach, mushrooms and if using, the zucchini.
Continue cooking until the spinach is wilted and mushrooms are partially cooked. Add the milk and simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring periodically. Stir in the lemon juice and simmer about five minutes.
Place one cup of cooked pasta in a serving dish and top with the chicken mixture. Sprinkle each serving with a few capers and top each with about one TBSP. of Parmesan cheese.
I got this recipe from the Detroit Newspaper and it was provided by Elaine Stewart.
Their listed nutrionals are:
579 calories, 12g fat, 9 fiber. This would be 10 points under the old scale and 14.5 points on the new scale.

I am making some slight adjustments in order to lower the points and for convenience. My version has 11.75 WW points on the new scale.
I omitted the zucchini and capers. I am using 2% fat milk (because that's what I have) and just one pound of chicken. I will use whatever pasta I have on hand and it will be 5 WW points for 1 cup. You could half the serving size of pasta or both pasta and sauce to lower points further.

Here is my point breakdown for this meal:

3 oz. chicken=3 WW points, so 1 pound would be 16 WW points in total recipe
1 tsp. olive oil=1 WW point so 1 TBSP. would be 3 WW points.
2 TBSP flour=1 WW point so 1/4 cup (or 4 TBSP.) would be 2 WW points.
1 cup of 2% fat milk=3 WW points.
salt, pepper, garlic, spinach, mushrooms and lemon juice are free 0 WW points.
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese=3 points
Total recipe WW points= 27
You will divide this by 4 for 6.75 WW points
PLUS 1 cup of pasta of your choice, whole wheat is 4 points and reg. is 5 points for one cup.
Enjoy!!
This would also be great MINUS the chicken, with the zucchini or any other veggies of your choice added in.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will serve this for dinner tonight with a garden salad and whatever fresh fruit I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another important note is that this made 4 cups of mixture not counting the pasta. So, you get 1 cup of this on top of your 1 cup of pasta. To me, it was very filling. Just add a salad and some fruit and you are set.

    ReplyDelete