Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Friday, February 25, 2011

Take the poll and let me know what you want to see. Tonight is Steak Fajitas!!!

I am using the WW Chinese Pepper Steak Wraps recipe as a base for my own variation.

Recipe
1 TBSP dry sherry
1 TBSP reduced-soudium soy sauce
1 TBSP corn starch
4 tsp peanut oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2-1 tsp chili sauce, chili oil or dried red peppers
1 pound round steak, visible fat trimmed, sliced as thin as possible.  (The WW cookbook suggests freezing the meat for 20 minutes prior to cutting.  Since mine is being thawed, I will cut it when pliable).
1 green and 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced.
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
 (In the winter, I buy this pepper and onion blend in the frozen veggie section at Kroger or Meijer.  It is perfect for fajitas! 
4 fat free 6 inch fajitas (I am using Tumaro's Gourmet Tortillas Salsa flavor.  They are 96% fat free and were purchased at Meijer by the deli.)

1. To prepare marinade, combine sherry, soy sauce, cornstarch, 2 tsp. of the peanut oil, sugar and chili paste, chili oil or dried chili peppers  (I am thinking at this point that if you use the chili oil, you could omit one tsp. of the peanut oil here. IF so, adjust points to reflect.) and beef to a gallon sized plastic ziplock bag.  Seal the bag, squeeze out the air, turn to coat the beef.  Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, at least one hour.  Drain, reserving the marinade.
2. In a large non-stick pan, heat the 2 tsp. of peanut oil.  Add the beef and saute' until barely pink, 1-2 minutes.  Transfer to a plate.
3. In the skillet saute' the peppers and onion until soft, about 8 minutes.  Add the reserved marniade after 4 minutes and cook until it evaporates.  Return beef to the pan and cook stirring until heated through.
4. Divide the beef and veggies into 4ths and then fill one or two tortillas and enjoy!

Nutrional breakdown for my version;
sherry- 0
soy sauce-0
cornstarch- 2.5 WW points
peanut oil- 4.6 WW points
sugar-1.5
chili sauce- 0
 chili oil- 1.5 WW points
 or pepper flakes- 0
steak- 26 WW points
peppers- 0
onion- 0
Total WW points for the above is 34.6- 36.1.   This will depend on whether you use the chili peppers or chili sauce or chili oil. Divide this above into 4 servings which would be 8.65-9 WW points for each 1/4 pound of steak mixture.  Then you will need to add your tortilla points in depending on the brand etc. 
1 tortilla- 1.5 WW points (for the ones I am using, mentioned above.  These are low carb tortillas).

IF you omit 1 of the tsp. of peanut oil and use the 1 tsp of chili oil in it's place for the marinade; peanut oil total would be 3.45 WW points and 1.5 WW points for the chili oil so...  4.9 WW points.  This would change the total recipe (before tortillas) to 34.9 WW points, hence 8.73 WW points per  1/4 mixture.

So, this meal would be 11.65 WW points with two of my fajitas. I will serve this with rice and salsa.
white rice is 2.5 WW points for 1/2 cup or 5 WW points for 1 cup.  Most salsa would be free.

Pictures and review will be posted tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment