Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, February 21, 2011

Tacos for Tonight

Here is what we had and a breakdown of nutritionals;

Old ElPaso Stand'n Stuff yellow corn taco shells (2)=130 calories, 6g fat and 1g of fiber. This makes for 3 WW points on the old scale and 3.5 WW points on the new scale.

1 pound of beef. We get our beef from a grain fed cow farm each year. This is healthier, we know what the cow is fed and we know the farmer. I like NOT buying beef from the grocery store but to each his own.
WW says 1/4 cup of beef with 20% fat or more is 4 points and 2 points for the new scale. I used their measurements and rounded up just in case. I always drain the meat and rinse it with very hot water.

Tony Chachere's Creole Red Beans and Rice Dinner Mix. I followed the directions but didn't add the optional meat. It made appx. 3.5 cups and it was 85 calories, .5g fat and 4g of fiber. This is only 1 WW point per 1/2 cup so 2 WW points for a whole cup under the old scale. It would be 2.3 WW points on the new scale for a half cup so 4.57 for a whole cup under the new scale. This was VERY good and filling. I could even imagine eating it as a chili or soup. It has a soupier consistency.

Meijer brand 2% milk (reduced fat) Mexican cheese blend. For a 1/4 cup serving; 80 calories, 6g fat and 0 fiber. It was 2 points under the old WW and 2.5 points on the new WW scale.

Meijer brand reduced fat sour cream. I just don't like fat free anything so I usually compromise but going for reduced fat. This was 2 TBSP for a serving and there are 35 calories, 2g fat and 0 fiber. It is 1 WW point on the old scale and 1 WW point on the new scale.

I ate one taco with 1 TBSP. of sour cream, 1 TBSP. of cheese and 1/8 cup of beef. The other shell broke but I ate it the same way but I did top the open shelled taco with some of the rice and beans. It was good. The rice is spicy. I usually have salsa on hand but I didn't today. I served the rice and beans in a bowl b/c it greatly resembled soup.

I served this with cut up strawberries and blueberries.

My dinner total was 11 WW points according to the old scale.

2 comments:

  1. It would be 13.5 WW points on the new scale. I am going to try using the new scale all the time now. I am just trying to adjust but it might be too confusing to do both. If anyone reads my blog and wants the old points, I will continue to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://pointspluscalculator.com/?fat=2.5&carbs=27&protien=3&fiber=3&submit=Calculate

    ReplyDelete