Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tonight's Dinner (Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas) brought to you by the 9 pounds Chris and I lost this week!!

This was on my weekly menu and the only thing I could make for tonight since it doesn't need to have any part of it thawed or prepared in any other significant way.  Sundays are busy for us so I am hoping this will be the perfect pairing to the hustle and bustle that goes without saying on this night of the week.

You will need:
1 sweet potato peeled, cut into small squares and boiled and drained. 
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained. 
1/4 shredded 2% milk cheese or a combination of these.  I am using 1/8 cup of Mexican and 1/8 cup Colby & Monterey Jack.  
2 tortillas of your choice per quesadilla.  I am using the Tumaro's Salsa tortillas this time.

Nutritionals:
1/4 cup sweet potato- 1 WW point
1/4 cup black beans-1.25 WW points
1/4 cup cheese- just Mexican 2.5 WW points, just Colby & Monterey 2 WW points, 1/8 cup each 2.25 WW points.
Tumaro's Salsa Tortillas (substitute your brand here, use point calculator under "Things that get me through the day" to find your WW points.)  Mine are 1.5 WW points each for a total of 3 WW points.

Total for my quesadilla is 7.5 WW points.
Lay tortilla flat, top with 1/4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup cheese.  You may mash beans or potato if you prefer.  I want a little more give to my bite.  Cover with other tortilla.
Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted and it is heated through.
 I use a pizza cutter to divide it in quarters after they come out of the oven.  You could eat all four pieces or just two depending on your appetite and point allowance and what you are serving with.
I will serve this with Knorr Chicken flavor rice (It works out to 7 WW points per cup so 3.5 WW points per 1/2 cup) and a vegetable.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Good job guys on the loss. Loving the recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It is very motivating to have a group to be accountable to. I like using the blog forum to post and get feedback.
    Chris lost 6.1 pounds this week and I lost 3.1 pounds this week! Here's to many more pounds off!

    ReplyDelete