Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Chicken Stir-Fry

This is from WW New Complete Cookbook.  This is a new one for me.  I am making it tonight!

You need:
2 TBSP low sodium chicken broth (freeze the rest)
1 TBSP minced peeled fresh ginger
1 TBSP reduced sodium soy sauce
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp Asian (dark) sesame oil
3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 TBSP sesame seeds
1 TBSP peanut oil
6 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
12 asparagus spears, cut into 2-inch lengths
1 cup trimmed watercress
Directions:
1. To prepare marinade, in a zip-close bag, combine broth, ginger, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch and sesame oil; add the chicken.  Seal the bag, squeezing out extra air; turn to coat the chicken.  Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, at least 2 hours or overnight.  Drain and discard marinade.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet until very hot; add the sesame seeds and stir-fry until golden, 2-3 minutes.  Transfer to a small bowl.
3. In the same skillet, heat the peanut oil.  Stir-fry the scallions, garlic and red pepper, 2 minutes; add the asparagus and stir-fry until tender, 4-5 minutes.  Add the chicken and watercress; stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through, 6-8 minutes.  Serve sprinkled with the sesame seeds.
Nutritionals:  Makes 4 servings.  One serving is about 1 1/4 cups.
184 calories, 8g fat, 9g carbs, 1g fiber and 20g protein=  5 WW points.  That works out to 1 WW point per 1/4 cup.  You can adjust your serving to how many points you want for dinner.

I will serve this with brown rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment