Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's Classic Pot Roast Night Tonight!!

This recipe was taken from the WW New Complete Cookbook.  It is the BEST pot roast I have ever had.  I have made it several times and it is just awesome.

2 TBSP. + 2 tsp. olive oil
2 pounds bottom or top round round boneless beef roast, trimmed of all visible fat
2 onions, finely chopped (I use my Pampered Chef chopper for all the chopping in this recipe)
1/2 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced  (I use my Pampered Chef garlic press for this)
1 1/2 tsp finely shopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 tsp dried
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh sage or 1/2 tsp dried
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 cup chopped canned plum tomatoes with juice (I use my own canned tomatoes here)
1 cup low sodium beef broth (I freeze leftovers since I don't use this much)
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
I have never used fresh herbs in this recipe and it has been yummy!  I would love to try the fresh herbs and see if it is even better.
1.  In a large nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the oil.  Add the roast and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes each.  Transfer the roast to a plate.  Add the onions, carrot, celerygarlic, rosemary and sage to the pan.  Saute', stirring constantly, until the veggies are golden and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the wine, turning up the heat slightly and scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  Return the roast to the pan and cook 2 minutes.  Stir in the tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper (the liquid should cover only about 1/3 of the meat); partially cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently, turning the meat occasionally, until tender when tested with a fork, about 2 hours. 
I have always made this in a large pan with a lid.  I only turn it once after 1 hour of cooking time.  It always turns out perfect.  I wouldn't turn it more than the one time.  I have heard that turning meat several times makes it tough.
3. Slice the meat thinly across the grain.  Skim the fat from the gravy.  Return the meat to the gravy in the pan and reheatover low heat.  If you desire a thicker gravy, boil the gravy over high heat for a minute or two, keeping the sliced meat warm.

Serves 8, Serving size is 2 slices of meat with 1/3 cup gravy.  I will serve this with potatoes, green beans and salad. 

Nutrionals from Cookbook
202 calories, 10g fat, 5g carbs, 1g fiber, 7g protein
This works out to 3.5 WW points per serving.
Review and Pic to follow tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment