Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Friday, March 4, 2011

Spicy Beef (or chicken) and Broccoli Stir-Fry, that's what's for dinner tonight!

This recipe was taken from the WW New Complete Cookbook.  I am changing a few things to adapt to what I have on hand.  I will also list nutritionals for both beef and chicken for all those chicken lovers on here who voted!  :)

Spicy Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry

2TBSP dry sherry
2 TBSP dark soy sauce (This is the good stuff, Tamari)  BUT you could use regular
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP grated peeled fresh ginger I don't have this  :(
1 tsp Asian (dark) sesame oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 pound beef tenderloin, trimmed of all fat and cut into strips
1 tsp cornstarch
1 TBSP vegetable oil
4 cups broccoli florets
3 scallions, thinly sliced   I don't have these :(

1. To prepare marinade, in a gallon size Ziplock, combine the sherry, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and red pepper; add the beef.  Seal the bag, squeezing out the air, turn to coat the beef.  Refrigerate, turning the bag occassionally, about 1 hour.
2. Drain the marinade into a measuring cup; add enough water to make 1/3 cup of liquid.  Add the cornstarch and stir until it dissolves.
3. Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok with a lid over high heat.  Add the vegetable oil and beef; stir-fry until the beef loses it's red color, about 1 minute.  With a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.  Reduce the heat slightly and add the broccoli; stir-fry 3 minutes, then cover and steam 1 minute.  Return the beef to the skillet and add the marinade; increase the heat to high and stir-fry until the sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes.  Serve, sprinkled with the scallions.
Nutrionals:
This makes four servings.  Each 1/4 of the stir-fry is 207 calories, 11g fat, 8g carb, 3g fiber and 18g protein.
That works out to 5 WW points per serving.

If using chicken instead it would be 4 WW points per serving.  It is 4 WW points for 3 oz. cooked tenderloin and 3 WW points for 3 oz. of grilled chicken breast.

I would serve this with rice and a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment