Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Orange Chicken with Broccoli for Dinner Tonight!

This is from the WW New Complete Cookbook.  I have never made this before so I am excited to try something new.

You will need;
1 pound, boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
4 tsp vegetable oil
1 TBSP minced peeled fresh ginger
2 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth (could use vegetable broth)
1/4 cup orange juice
3 TBSP reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 TBSP water
1 orange, peeled and sectioned

1. In a mdeium nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil.  Add the ginger and saute', stirring often, 2 minutes.  Transfer to a small plate with a slotted spoon.
2. In the same skillet, saute' the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to another plate.  In the skillet, combine the broccoli and water; stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan; cook, covered until tender-crisp, 3-4 minutes.  Return the chicken to the skillet; stir in the broth, orange juice and soy sauce.  Add the dissolved corn starch; cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture boils and thickens slightly.  Add the orange; heat through.  Top with the ginger and serve.

Nutritionals:  Serving size is about 1 cup
221 calories, 6g fat, 12g carbs, 3g fiber and 29g protein
This works out to 5.5 WW points.  I will serve this with rice.

Review and picture to follow tonight!!

2 comments: