Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Monday, March 28, 2011

Southern Oven "Fried" Chicken

I got this from the WW New Complete Cookbook.  I have never made it before so it will be an adventure for us too.  I assume the kids will really like this though.

You will need:
1/2 cup fat free buttermilk
1/2 cup cornflakes, crushed
3 TBSP all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 pounds chicken parts, skinned
4 tsp canola oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Pour the buttermilk into a shallow bowl.  On a sheet of wax paper, combine the cornflake crumbs, flour, salt and pepper.  Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then dredge in the cornflake mixture, coating completely.  Place the chicken on the baking sheet; drizzle with the oil.  Bake 30 minutes, then turn the chicken over.  Bake until cooked through, 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutritionals:
(about 2 pieces according to the book)  I would just make into 4 even portions so you know after it's done.
229 calories, 10g fat, 11g carbs, 0g fiber, 23g protein= 6 WW points.
TIP-
You could up the fiber by using a different cereal perhaps Fiber One corn flakes or Total corn flakes if there are better fiber nutritionals in those.
I just realized that I don't have the cereal for this so will have to go to the store AGAIN this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment