Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dessert with Dinner for once!

I NEVER serve dessert.  It's sad but true but desserts are reserved for special occasions.  I hardly ever order dessert at a restaraunt and it's not because I don't like them.  My mom made some scrumptious lemon bars today that she shared with us.  I will share the picture and recipe with you here.

This was from USA Today March 25-27, 2011.  Cooksmart by Three Many Cooks.
It is called The best lemon bars, bar none!

Luscious Lemon Bars
for crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 stick (8 TBSP) butter
for filling:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 TBSP. all-purpose flour
6 TBSP juice from 2 lemons
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.  Fit an 8-inch by 16-inch piece of foil across pan bottom and up the 2 sides as foil overhangs to pull bars from the pan.  Spray foil with cooking spray.
Mix flour, salt, confectioners sugar in a medium bowl; stir in butter to form dough.  Press dough into pan bottom (the bottom of a measuring cup dipped in flour helps).  Bake until pale golden, about 20 minutes.
While pastry bakes, whisk eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice and zest in a medium bowl.
Remove pan from oven.  Add lemon mixture and continue to bake until just set, about 20 minutes longer; let cool in pan for a few minutes and then using foil handles, pull bars from the pan and set on wire rack.  Cool until room temperature.  Cut into squares and serve.
Nutritionals:
Makes 16 servings
143 calories, 20g carbs, 2g protein, 6g fat, 0g fiber= 4 WW points each!  YUMMY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment