Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Recipes for the Weekly Menu #4 Zesty Chicken-Noodle Casserole

This recipe was taken from the WW New Complete Cookbook

Zesty Chicken-Noodle Casserole

You will need:
6 oz. wide noodles
1 TBSP olive oil
4 tsp all-purpose flour
2 cups fat free milk
1 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 red onion, chopped (I would only use 1/4-1/2 of the onion unless you REALLY like onion)
2 TBSP chopped canned green chilies (This is good with or without so if you don't have them, don't worry)
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
4 tsp seasoned dried bread crumbs

Directions:
1. Cook the noodles according to package directions; drain.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees; spray a 2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil.  Sprinkle with the flour; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.  Whisk in the milk and cheese; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 2-3 minutes.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in the noodles, chicken, onion, chilies, and mustard.  Transfer to the casserole; sprinkle with the bread crumbs.  Bake until browned and bubbling, 20-25 minutes.
Nutritionals:  Makes 4 servings.  1 Serving is one generous cup.
414 calories, 9g fat, 48g carbs, 2g fiber and 35g protein.  This works out to 10.5 WW points.
I would serve this with a veggie and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment