Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Recipes for the Weekly Menu #2 Oh-So-Good Onion Soup and Homemade Sourdough Bread

This is from the Rachael Ray 30 Minute Meals 2 Cookbook.  I am going to adjust a little for WW.

Makes 4 servings

You will need:
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 TBSP butter
6 medium onions, thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tsp ground thyme or poultry seasoning
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
1/2 cup dry sherry
6 cups beef stock
4 thick slices crusty bread
4 slices of light Swiss Cheese (this is where I made my adjustment from the 2 & 1/2 cups Swiss or Gruyere it called for ).
A few sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish (optional)

Directions:
Heat a deep pot over medium to medium-high heat, and add oil and butter.  Working next to the stove, slice onions, and add to the pot as you go.  When all the onions are in, season with salt, pepper ground thyme and bay leaf.  Cook onions, stirring frequently, 15-18 minutes, until tender, sweet and carmel colored.  Add sherry to the pot and deglaze.  Add 6 cups of stock, cover pot and bring to a boil.  Remove bay leaf.
Preheat broiler to high and toast bread slices.  Arrange 4 small, deep soup bowls or crocks on a cookie sheet.  Once soup boils, ladle it into bowls.  Float toasted crusty bread on top and top with cheese.  Sprinkle fresh thyme on cheese (if using) and place on cookie sheet holding bowls under hot broiler until cheese melts and bubbles.

Nutrionals:
oil-3WW points
butter-6WW points
onions, salt, pepper, thyme or poultry seasoning and bay leaf (and fresh thyme if using)-free
dry sherry-3WW points
beef stock -(I am using 3 cans of Meijer brand reduced sodium, fat free ready to serve beef broth)-3WW points.
bread-(I am using Meijer All Natural Italian.  A serving is 2 oz. and there are 9 servings and 31 slices (not all the same size).  It works out to 3.5WW points for 2 oz.  I think one slice would work out to half, hence 1.75 WW points.
light Swiss-2 WW points.
Total=15 WW points, not counting cheese and bread for topping.  Divide that by three for 3.75 WW points+3.75 WW points (for bread and cheese)=7.5 WW points per bowl.

Sourdough White Bread
Recipe taken from WW New Complete Cookbook.

You will need:
Starter;
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup lukewarm water (105-115 degrees) water
1 envelope active dry yeast
Bread;
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 tsp salt

Directions
1. To prepare the starter, in a glass bowl, combine the flour and water; sprinkle with the yeast.  Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 days; the starter should be bubbling and have a grapefruit-like odor.
2. To prepare the bread, in a food processor, combine flour and salt.  With the machine running scrape the starter through the feed tube until the dough just forms a ball.  Knead the dough by pulsing it until it is smooth and no longer sticky, about 30 times.
3. Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray; place the dough in the bowl.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
4. Punch down the dough; lightly sprinkle a work surface with flour.  Turn out the dough; form into a 6-inch round loaf.  Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.  Place the loaf on the baking sheet; cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; place a pan of boiling water on the lowest oven rack.  Dust the loaf with about 1 tsp of flour; with a sharp knife or single-edge razor blade, slash the top of the loaf twice vertically and twice horizontally to make a crosshatch pattern.  Bake about 20 minutes; reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.  Bake until the bread is well-browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, 20-30 minutes longer.  Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
Nutritionals:  Makes 12 servings
80 calories, 0 fat, 17g carbs, 1g fiber and 2g protein.  This works out to 2 WW points.

No comments:

Post a Comment