Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Thursday, March 17, 2011

Irish Dinner, Corn Beef and Col cannon! Happy St. Patty's Day!!

Corn beef
I am going to boil the corn beef b/c after trying several ways of cooking it, we like this way the best.  I have baked it and cooked it in the crock pot too!  I just follow the package directions and it states to boil it in water for 50 minutes per pound of meat.  It will be three hours for mine.
Nutritional:  one serving is 4 oz.
20g fat, 230 calories, 0 fiber, 14g protein and 0 carbs.  It works out to 6.5 WW points.

Col cannon
I have made this a few different ways but I am choosing the recipe from the WW New Complete Cookbook for tonight.  I have never used this recipe before so it will be new for me!

You will need:
3 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and cubed.
1/2 cup plain, fat-free yogurt
4 cups chopped green cabbage, steamed until tender
3-4 leeks, chopped and steamed until tender
3 TBSP fresh chives, finely chopped  (I forgot these so will have to use dried chives :(  )
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
2 tsp olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees; spray a 1 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and yogurt.  With an electric mixer at low speed, beat until the potatoes are fairly smooth; stir in the cabbage, leeks, chives, salt, pepper and nutmeg, mixing well. 
3. Transfer the mixture into the casserole, sprinkle with the oil.  Bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Nutritional:  Serving size is one generous cup
144 calories, 4g fat, 25g carbs, 4g fiber and 4g protein
This works out to 4 WW points.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment