Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Saturday, March 5, 2011

Have an Awesome Weekend Everyone!! Recipes included.

Here are a few chicken recipes for you.  I have made both of these several times and really like them!

I can't remember where I came across this first one.  I readjusted this, decreasing my original recipe by 1 TBSP. oil and 1/3 cup of cashews.

Princess Chicken
You will need:
1 TBSP. dry sherry
1 TBSP. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. of each; salt, paprika, garlic powder
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into pieces
2 TBSP. oil
1/3 cup cashews
4 oz. canned mushrooms (you can use fresh)
1 bell pepper, cut into cubes (any color works)
soy sauce and sesame oil

Directions:
1. Combine sherry, cornstarch and spices.  Add chicken and toss to coat, set aside.
2. Heat 1 TBSP. oil.  Stir-fry cashews and mushrooms 1 minute.  Add green pepper and stir-fry 1 minute.  Remove.
3. Heat remaining 1 TBSP. oil,  Add chicken and stir-fry until browned.  Return veggies.  Add soy sauce to taste and mix well.  Add sesame oil just before removing from heat.  Serve over rice.

Nutritionals:
sherry-0
cornstarch- 2.5 WW points
salt, paprika, garlic powder- free
1 pound chicken breast- 16 WW points
oil- 7 WW points
cashews- 12.5 WW points
mushrooms, bell pepper- free
soy sauce- up to 1 TBSP - free
sesame oil- 1 tsp.-1.2 WW points
Total Points for this recipe- 39.2, so 1/4 of the stir-fry is 9.8 (just say 10 WW points)
1 cup of white or brown rice is 5 WW points, so 2.5 WW points for 1/2 cup.
Enjoy!

Chicken Fiesta Soup (from my Aunt Carole Caldwell)

You will need:
1 pound boneless skinless cooked chicken breast (bake or boil)
1 14 1/2 oz. can stewed tomatoes, drained (I use my homemade canned tomatoes)
2 4oz. cans chopped green chilies
1 28 oz. can enchilada sauce
1 14 1/2 oz. can vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. each of ground cumin, salt and chili powder
3/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh clinatro
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
appx. 2-2 1/2 cups 1-inch cubed butternut squash
1 zucchini diced
Directions-
Combine everything in a croc pot.  Cover and cook low for 8 hours.  You could also cook it on medium or high for a shorter time.

Nutritionals:
chicken-16 WW points
tomatoes, chilies- free
enchilada sauce (Ortega)-14 WW points
chicken broth- .5 WW points OR vegetable broth (free)
onion, garlic, spices, cilantro- free
corn- 3 WW points
squash, zucchini- free
Total- 33.5 WW points.  This makes 10 one cup servings at 3.35 WW each or 5 two cup servings at
6.7 WW points.  This soup is absolutely delicious!! 

I have never used cilantro in mine, Chris isn't a fan.  I have made it with or without chicken, with or without the butternut squash and with or without the zucchini.  It has been great each time!  The butternut squash cuts the spiciness of the enchilada sauce.
This would freeze well.  Eat half now and half another day!!  Serve with salad, sandwiches or alone with crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment