Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Salisbury Steak for Dinner Tonight!!!

I got this recipe from Paula Deen's Best Dishes Magazine (Aug. 2010 issue).  I am adapting it to fit WW, so changing a few things.

You will need;
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 TBSP Worcester,shire sauce
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
8 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can condensed French onion soup
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can beef consomme'  (Campbells makes this and at Meijer, it is near the French onion soup)

In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, Worcesteshire sauce, garlic, pepper and salt.  Form into 4 patties.  Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Add patties to skillet, in batches if necessary, and cook for 7-8 minutes per side or until browned.  Remove patties from pan; set aside.  Reserve 2 TBSP drippings in skillet. 

Add mushrooms to skillet, and saute' for 1-2 minutes or until just tender.  Add flour and onion soup, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.  Stir in consomme'.

Return patties to skillet; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until patties are cooked through and sauce is thickened.  Serve immeditately.

The original recipe calls for two pounds of ground beef, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 2 TBSP Worcestshire sauce and 2 cloves of garlic.  I halved the meat and the things listed here.  I kept the other things the same.  Also, original calls for making 6 patties from the two pounds of meat.

Nutritionals;  Makes four servings.  One patty each serving.
beef-21 WW points, bread crumbs-2.5 WW points, egg 2 WW points, Worcestshire sauce-0, garlic-0, mushrooms-0, salt and pepper-0, flour- 1 WW point, French onion soup-4.5 WW points,
beef consomme'-1 WW point. 
This totals to 32 WW points and would be 8 WW points per patty when divided by 4.
I will serve this with broccoli and mashed potatoes.
Another thing you could do that is REALLY good is cut the patty up and serve over egg noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment