Welcome to My Kitchen

This is the place that I love to be. I like to be creative and cooking is what is doing it for me these days. It's kind of a necessity and it makes me feel accomplished. I like knowing what we are eating and where it comes from. I go out of my way to make sure this happens.
I like that I don't buy several household staples from a grocery store. I enjoy making applesauce, jams and jellies, apple butter, spaghetti sauce, spicy mustard, pickles and anything else I can.
I like getting dirty, getting my hands into things, feeling and experiencing my food from the beginning to the end. I like making things, growing things and bringing those two together to create a healthy meal. I like nourishing others and knowing that I did my best to give them the best.











Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spicy Beef (or chicken) and Broccoli Stir-Fry. This is a repeat but I have ginger.

This recipe was taken from the WW New Complete Cookbook.  I am changing a few things to adapt to what I have on hand.  I will also list nutritionals for both beef and chicken for all those chicken lovers on here who voted!  :)

A cute little story.  I bought Chris some Diet Gingerale this week.  Nolan likes to get them out for Chris for dinner or when he is packing his lunch.  Nolan calls them Ginger.  But the way he says it is like this; Ginga.  It's almost like he has a Boston accent.  Chris and I smile or break down laughing every time he says it.

Spicy Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry

2TBSP dry sherry
2 TBSP dark soy sauce (This is the good stuff, Tamari)  BUT you could use regular
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tsp Asian (dark) sesame oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 pound beef tenderloin, trimmed of all fat and cut into strips
1 tsp cornstarch
1 TBSP vegetable oil
4 cups broccoli florets
3 scallions, thinly sliced   I don't have these :(

1. To prepare marinade, in a gallon size Ziplock, combine the sherry, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and red pepper; add the beef.  Seal the bag, squeezing out the air, turn to coat the beef.  Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally, about 1 hour.
2. Drain the marinade into a measuring cup; add enough water to make 1/3 cup of liquid.  Add the cornstarch and stir until it dissolves.
3. Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok with a lid over high heat.  Add the vegetable oil and beef; stir-fry until the beef loses it's red color, about 1 minute.  With a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.  Reduce the heat slightly and add the broccoli; stir-fry 3 minutes, then cover and steam 1 minute.  Return the beef to the skillet and add the marinade; increase the heat to high and stir-fry until the sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes.  Serve, sprinkled with the scallions.
Nutrionals:
This makes four servings.  Each 1/4 of the stir-fry is 207 calories, 11g fat, 8g carb, 3g fiber and 18g protein.
That works out to 5 WW points per serving.

If using chicken instead it would be 4 WW points per serving.  It is 4 WW points for 3 oz. cooked tenderloin and 3 WW points for 3 oz. of grilled chicken breast.

I am serving this with rice tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment